Saturday, April 25, 2009

When it rains, it pours, and even lighning and thunder too sometimes!!

This week has been a long week. When it first started out it was a normal, work, take care of kids, and sleep, type of week. Well then Thursday came. The plan for the day was to play with the kids in the morning while John went to the YMCA to work out and go to his Taichi class. He left to take Avalon to school and then continued to the Y. Caillean and Xavier were eating their breakfast and watching Handy Manny while I played my Pokemon game on the DS. (Yes I play Pokemon, its a very competitive game when your husband is playing too) Anyway, about 9:30 the doorbell rings. It is someone from the Y to tell me my husband is at the ER!!!And you are asking why is she at my door and not calling me?! Because stupid Jennifer left her cell phone in her bedroom and shut the door that morning so the kids wouldn't play in there. Usually I would take my phone with me. John had been trying to call me for 45 min.!! How embarrassing that someone had to come to my door to get a hold of me. Anyway the reason she was at the door is that they had driven him to the ER in our van and had locked the keys in the van running in the ambulance bay! So now I have to try to find a way to get to the ER with two kids who aren't even dressed. Luckily my dad takes his lunch breaks at about 10-11 O'clock. So I get to the Hospital and get to his room. There is blood dripping everywhere off his foot. Guess what he did?!! He dropped a 45 lb. weight on his foot. So instead of going to work at noon, I spent all morning in the ER and needed to get him to an orthopedic Appointment at 2. We got out of the ER at 12. His foot was all cleaned up and bandaged and he was all drugged up. He felt that he needed to immediately go to KFC and let the manager know that he was injured and wouldn't be able to start work anytime soon. He couldn't wait until he was coherent. After that we took the kids to McDonald's to get lunch before we head to the Ortho. What does my husband do while we are in a very long line in the drive thru?? He proceeds to open the door and puke all over the pavement. Hehehe. Flash forward.....later we get to the orthopedic and find out he needs to have surgery. So I leave him and take the kids to my mom and dads and head back up to the hospital to see him before they do surgery. Surgery only took an hour. They removed his entire nail bed on his left big toe and he cant walk on his foot for at least two weeks. By the time we get out of the hospital it is 7:30pm. I take him and home and then go get the kids.

When I go get the kids the scene is as follows.....Avalon greets me totally upset because her dad isn't with me....Xavier is crying because he is totally exhausted, and Caillean is complaining of a fresh stinky diaper. So everybody is crying and I want to cry too and crawl into a large hole and bury myself. As we are getting our stuff on to go home, Avalon is crying and coughing and complaining that her throat hurts. I thought nothing of it because my mom was sick with a cold and I just assumed that she was getting a cold too. So when we got home, I gave her a cough drop and sent her and the rest of the kids to bed. John and I crawl into bed ourselves and attempt to get some sleep. However, Avalon wakes up three or four times crying because her throat hurts so much. So finally at 12:30am I decide to have her open her mouth so I can check things out. Not that I knew what I was looking for, but it didn't matter, because her throat was so sore she couldn't even open it. She was in tears and crying. So I got dressed and said OK lets go to the ER AGAIN!! So I got her in the car and left John at home with the other two asleep.

We got there and the doctor saw her and decided that she needed blood work, a swab for strep, and morphine so that he could actually get in her mouth to see what the problem was. We finally found out that there was a abscess on her tonsil and they hooked her up to an IV and admitted her. By the time we actually got to the room it was 4am. EEEKK....so I have had maybe 2 hours of sleep plus a stressful day before. In the morning or I should say a couple hours later, Dr. Aamodt (family doctor, also member of our church) got to see Avalon and she was relieved to see someone familiar. To make a long story short if the antibiotics were not to work she would have needed surgery to drain the abscess. Luckily it worked, but by the time she was feeling better we had spent the entire day in the hospital where we only got like a two hour nap and a long boring day. We got home around 8pm and headed straight for bed. Unfortunately, her neck was still a little sore, so being a wonderful mother that I am I slept in the living room with her on our couches. I am now worn out and back to work after two days. I have tomorrow off and then work four more days, all eight hour days. I then have to come home and probably wait on my husband hand and foot because he cant walk. Its going to be a looooooonnnnngggg week. But luckily we have Chris and Megan's wedding on Friday and Saturday so I am looking forward to be around family and hopefully relaxing a little. Here are some pictures of Avalon and John and their ailments. I forgot to take a picture of John's foot before they bandaged it, so you will not get grossed out. And the pictures of Avalon are after she was feeling better. She wanted me to add also that she didn't want to leave the hospital because she liked the bed so much. She was highly entertained by how the bed went up and down.


0 comments: