Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Eagles have soared and other mishaps

This last weekend the kids and I traveled to Nauvoo, Ill. with my best friend Joyce. We started out at 4pm Friday night in hopes that we would get there by 11pm. We did not reach Nauvoo until 2:30 am because it snowed most of the way there. The first thing we did when we got into Nauvoo is we drove past the temple.....then we went to the hotel where we were staying.Any picture of the temple is not worthy to show the magnificance of this awesome building. Anyway by the time we all got to bed it was 3am. We all woke up at 7am to prepare for a day of site seeing. Unfortuanately, Avalon was complaining of having a stomach ache. So I grabbed the garbage can from the bathroom and into the van we went. She ended up throwing up, but she still wanted to continue seeing our sites. As we drove along the Mississippi we were not prepared to see what we were about to see in the trees. Little to our knowledge Bald eagles were nesting along the river every winter. It was so cool!! There were so many of them it was like see a robin in every tree. That is how common they were. In fact we spent most of our mini vacation trying to take a good picture of them.
Anyway after we were done looking at the eagles, we went shopping among the various shops in Nauvoo and then Joyce and I took turns going to the temple. As the children are too young to attend the temple. That night we had movie night and pizza. Sunday morning we packed up and checked out of the hotel and headed off to Carthage Jail. For those reader who are not part of the church, Carthage Jail is where Joesph Smith and his brother Hyrum were murdered by a mob. It is quite a neat experience. Here is a picture of the door with original bullet holes.


And here is a couple of pictures of the kids outside of the jail. I can't believe I got one of all of them looking at me!!

Stay tuned for more stories from our weekend as I have run out of time and I have to get ready for work.

0 comments: